Sunday, July 5, 2009

I'm Disgusted.

My fiance works at Walmart, and today he told me a horrifying story. Someone returned a patio furniture set they had purchased, and since Walmart has a one hundred percent return policy, they had to take it back. Well, the table, couch, end table and two chairs had been assembled, and obviously removed from the box, so Walmart couldn't sell it again. Jon was instructed to destroy the entire thing in the compactor. He was shocked, and he asked the managers if there was any way they could donate it to an organization or church or anything, but the managers said absolutely not, that was against Walmart policy. He told me that today alone, the store destroyed the patio set, four lawn chairs, enough diapers for a month of use, and two carts full of stuff. That is absolutely disgusting- what an awful, selfish, money-worshiping company.

It makes me sick.

4 comments:

  1. D: i always knew wal-mart was bad, but that, is just insane. it's terrible how many companies do that stuff; throw out perfectly good food just because the sell by date was that day, or they make everything fresh daily. grrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got a cousin who (long story) gets a huge amount of his food from going to restaurants after they're closed and either asking for what they were going to throw out that night, or checking out the dumpsters to see what he could take. I don't even want to know how much food has gone to waste that could have been used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, Walmart does this- but before you start singling them out- other major retailers are all doing the same thing. I work for Walmart, and yes I question thier ethics on several issues- but I know retail is the same every where. Retail is an ugly business, but they provide paychecks in an ugly economy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, you're right. It's unfortunate for Walmart that they happen to be the largest and easiest to target. But that doesn't make me any less mad at them. I used to work there as a cashier too, and I simply couldn't to it for long. They do great things for the economy but on a moral level, no one should be doing those things.

    ReplyDelete